In five short days I will be participating in a yearly event called "St. Baldrick's Day." It's a 501(c)(3) Non profit organization based on raising money for childhood cancer research by shaving heads to raise awareness. People shave their heads to not make the kids feel alone.

I have been aware of this foundation since my freshman year. One of my good
friends, Orion Pahl did this that year. He helped raise money and awareness for the kids with cancer. In my sophomore year he did it again. This time it was closer to home than we
thought. Our good friend Darleen Felten was going back into Chemo for Ewing's Sarcoma. So a group of our friends decided to shave their heads to support her.
In April of last year, Darleen went through a horrifying bone marrow transplant that she needed very badly. The doctor had said there may be a chance that she won't even walk out of the hospital. She addressed our church on April 27th, 2008 to tell us that she may never come back to our church. I could not believe it. Only days before this I had just gotten to know her. I didn't understand it at all. I could not help but cry. After we prayed for her I went up
to her and hugged her and cried some more. She looked at me with her beautiful eyes and said this "Tyler, look at me I'm not crying don't worry. I want you to visit me when I'm in the hospital." I responded "Okay." She added. "If you don't visit me I'll check myself out of the hospital, go to your house, beat your ass and drag you to come visit me." We both shared a laugh. "I also want you to be strong and hit me a home run in baseball." "I'll try" I said.
One month later Darleen was healthy. She was out of the hospital and she was very well. The doctors were amazed by her strength. I had just gotten my license and she was the first person I texted. Also when I got a job she was the first person I called. Then after that she went skydiving with some friends. She then saw her Doctor and she had gotten some good news. She could go to school. She was so happy. She started to take classes at ECC.
Then as school and other things started to happen for her it started to get worse. In September of 2008, She got the word that the cancer had grown and she only had a month left to live. Only a few of our friends actually knew about it. And on October 3rd, 2008 Darleen went home to be with God.
In this explanation of Darleen I am participating in the St. Baldrick's Event in her memory. I know she would be proud of me and I know that she will be cheering me on as I continue to live my life to the fullest. I just want her to know that on Friday March 13th, 2009 is for her.
This is for you Darleen!

No comments:
Post a Comment